46 Million Chinese Are Now Under Quarantine, More Than All Of California; Virus Jumps To Europe
Here’s a glimpse of new virus-related developments that occurred overnight.
- Total number of confirmed cases now 939+, 26 dead.
- China restricts travel for 46+ million people across 16 cities as the death toll surges.
- AFP reports that the virus has jumped to Europe, with two confirmed cases now in France.
- Two deaths have been reported outside Wuhan.
- Some residents displaying symptoms are being turned away from hospitals.
- Hospitals in Wuhan make urgent pleas for help and supplies.
- Beijing orders PLA medics to assist in Wuhan treating patients
- UK and US governments tell citizens to avoid outbreak zones.
- 63 suspected cases in US, Senator says 3 confirmed, with two reported so far in Illinois and California, and two suspected in Minnesota
* * *
Update (1420ET): AFP reports, citing a minister, that two cases of coronavirus are now confirmed in France, as the virus officially spreads to Europe.
* * *
Update (1320ET): CNBC’s Eunice Yoon has provided the latest horrifying update of the spread of the Coronavirus in China:
China quarantines 16 cities, total population 46 million
- Wuhan: 11mln
- Huanggang: 7.5mln
- Xiangyang: 6.1mln
- Yichang: 4.2mln
- Jingmen: 3mln
- Xianning: 2.8mln
- Huangshi: 2.5mln
- Suizhou: 2.2mln
- Xiantao: 1.6mln
- Ezhou: 1mln
- Qianjiang: 962k
- Enshi: 780k
- Xiaogan: 780k
- Zhijiang: 550k
- Dangyang: 560k
- Chibi: 530k
That is larger than the entire 39.5 million population of California.
* * *
Update (1220ET): Minutes after the NYC Mayor’s office issued a statement saying the risk of outbreak in the city was ‘low’, Gov. Cuomo’s office revealed that one case of suspected coronavirus in NY state had been confirmed negative, while three others are still being tested.
Stocks dipped to their lows of the session shortly after noon as investors finally realized that officials claiming that the virus is ‘under control’ were merely bluffing.
The Dow is now decidedly lower on the week:
The DoD said it’s following CDC guidance on the virus.
* * *
Update (1120ET): A senator has reportedly told the press that the CDC is about to confirm a third case of coronavirus in the US. Unsurprisingly, stocks aren’t taking the news too well.
- SENATOR SAYS CDC ABOUT TO CONFIRM 3RD U.S. CASE OF CORONAVIRUS
That Senator has been revealed to be none other than Connecticut’s Dick Blumenthal, a lawmaker with such a reputation for vanity, that it’s hardly a surprise that he would murder stocks for his own political gain.
Following the briefing from health officials, Bloomy said the US needs “better relations with the Chinese” to help deal with the epidemic, a indirect slight at Trump.
And dozens more cases are still being investigated.
And just like that, stocks go “whoosh”.
Meanwhile, in New York City, Mayor Bill de Blasio is warning that the risk of a viral outbreak in his city is low.
* * *
Update (1010ET): The CDC has confirmed the second case of Coronavirus in a Chicago resident who recently traveled to Wuhan.
#BREAKING: confirmed case of Coronavirus in Chicago
Illinois Dept of Health says it’s travel related
— Marissa Parra (@MarParNews) January 24, 2020
Other cases have been rumored in Texas and at LAX, but apparently none have been confirmed. The first case emerged earlier this week in Washington State. Fox News has confirmed that Senators are being briefed on the virus Friday morning.
Stocks have turned red on the news…here we go.